Categories
Final Major Project FMP

Week 3: UV Mapping in Maya

This week I got a bit delayed and I only managed to do the UV maps of all the parts of the model, so I will start with the textures next week.

UV Mapping

I made the UV maps in separate sections of the model, so it is easier to texture later on on Substance Painter (the model in parts will not be as heavy to texture and the programme will run better). I used ‘camera based’ tool to detect the UV map of each part based on the camera view, then I started to cut and sew the seams of each UV to be ablate unfold them as flat as possible without overlapping UVs. Then I used the ‘optimize tool’ to straighten the UVs as much as possible (this will make texturing easier as will avoid stretching issues). Lastly, I used ‘layout’ to try to arrange all UV shells of each section in 1 UDIM, spreading to 2 UDIMS for those sections that were too big to fit in one. After all the UVs were ready, I renamed the UV sets (to avoid issues with UV overlapping later on in Substance Painter) and I exported the model by sections in USD format.