Categories
VFX Careers Research

VFX Careers Research – Job 2

Modelling Artist

Lately, I have been enjoying 3D organic modelling of humans, animals, and objects. It is a task that I could do for hours without getting tired or bored. Creating things from scratch allows me to use my most creative side and pushes me to overcome the technical issues that could arise, to finally have the result that I have in my mind. I also consider modelling intriguing as it is not only based in creating the mesh of something, but figure out the features that define that model so it makes it interesting and memorable.

The task of a Modelling Artist starts with the concept artists design which will be taken as reference, or simply from photographs, or any type of sketch. Then the model is digitally sculpted using modelling programmes such as Maya, ZBrush, or Blender. Later, these models can be textured and animated by Texture Artists and Animators. In small businesses, it is usual that this position is blended with Texture Artist, which I am interested in too. I consider that starting up in a small business could give me the opportunity to learn more general skills so that I can experiment with as many areas of interest I have, to later determine which one I would like to specialise in.

While researching the 3D modelling process, from concept art until final texturing and animation, I found the following video showing the design process of Smaug, the dragon from the Peter Jackson’s movie The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug.

Smaug design process (The Hobbit The Battle of the Five Armies, 2014)

When creating the mesh of a 3D model, it is important to take in consideration certain technical aspects such as optimisation of the mesh, what is it going to be used, compatibility, etc. The attention to detail and thoroughness in the process will allow Texture Artists and Animators to do their part of the job easily. I have been lately playing around with hair modelling and the creation of various textures effects, such as clothes creases, and it is definitely a challenge to be as photorealistic as possible and at the same time try to keep the topology simple. This area would be a good one to explore and develop if I want to try my luck as a 3D modeller. I also found a few examples of 3D model optimisation:

Another inspiration I found about modelling is how professionals of the industry have managed to develop new techniques to increase the quality of the models and to make 3D artists task more manageable. In the next example it is shown how they managed to start implementing curly hair in Disney’s characters. Before this, the animated characters had mostly straight hair due to being more suitable to animate and to look with the appropriate quality. However, with the advancement of technology, and 3D software, 3D modellers have found the way to create a tool that focuses in curls. This demonstrates that as a Modelling Artist, I could be learning new skills in a daily basis and also could be developing my own design process and ideas.

Example of 3D modelling technique improvement to make curly hair (Insider, 2022)

I found this process interesting and inspiring: despite it means to work towards tight deadlines and to be able to make the impossible in the short timeframes, I consider this a rewarding job that can be enjoyable from beginning to end every step of the way.

Alison & Co, 2018. Character Creator 3 and InstaLOD partner to optimize game character design (online). Available at https://invisioncommunity.co.uk/character-creator-3-and-instalod-partner-to-optimize-game-character-design/. [Accessed 17 February 2023]

Insider, 2022. How Disney’s Animated Hair Became So Realistic, From ‘Tangled’ To ‘Encanto’ | Movies Insider (online). Available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvTchBdrqdw. [Accessed 17 February 2023]

The Hobbit The Battle of the Five Armies, 2014. The Hobbit : The Desolation of Smaug – Smaug Featurette (online). Available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pvr7DSEHcic. [Accessed 17 February 2023]